Page Table of Contents
You have admitted you want to quit, which is great news. You now need to evaluate why you should stop and which method to chose to help you. That is exactly what this page is designed to help you to do. Just click on the link below to access the part of the page you are interested in:
Top 10 tips to quit smoking
Your success in stopping smoking depends very much on the method you decide to use. You can make any task difficult by going about it the wrong way. Try crossing the road blindfold, drunk, standing on your hands and the chances are you won’t make it! Do it in a more sensible and simple way and you can’t fail.
Which method you choose to help you to achieve your goal is therefore very important. Although there are numerous techniques and treatments purporting to help you stop smoking, most of them result in less than one person out of ten actually succeeding.
The ways to quit smoking (click the link to read more):
- Natural Ways – Willpower, Acupuncture, Hypnosis, Allen Carr’s Easyway
- Nicotine Substitutes – NRT, E-cigarettes / Vaping, IQOS / Heat not burn
- Smoking Cessation Drugs – Champix / Chantix, Zyban / Buproprion
- Comparison table of quit smoking methods
- Lancaster T, Stead LF. Self-help interventions for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2005, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD001118. DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD001118.pub2
- Stead LF. Nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012 Art. No.: CD000146. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.
- Hughes J, Rennard S. Efficacy of Varenicline to Prompt Quit Attempts in Smokers Not Currently Trying to Quit: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial. Nicotine & Tobacco Research Journal. September 2011
- Fiore MC, Bailey WC, Cohen SJ, et al. Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence. Clinical Practice Guideline. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Public Health Service. June 2000.
- Lancaster T, Stead LF. Self-help interventions for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2005, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD001118. DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD001118.pub2.
- Wu P, Wilson K, Dimoulas P, et al. Effectiveness of smoking cessation therapies: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Public Health 2006; 6: 300.
- Cahill K, Stead LF, Lancaster T. Nicotine receptor partial agonists for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2007, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD006103. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD006103.pub2.
- Hughes JR, Stead LF, Lancaster T. Antidepressants for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2007, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD000031. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD000031.pub3.
- Crane R. The most addictive drug, the most deadly substance: smoking cessation tactics for the busy clinician. Prim Care Clin Office Pract 2007; 34: 117-35.
- GlaxoSmithKline. Zyban SR Prescribing Information. May 2007. http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_zyban.pdf
- Hypnotherapy for smoking cessation Barnes J, Dong CY, McRobbie H, Walker N, Mehta M, Stead LF Cochrane review 2010, issue 10
- In a 2 to 5 year post session study the success rate was seen to be 51%. Moshammer H, Neuberger M, Kong term success of short smoking cessation seminars supported by occupational health care. Addictive Behaviours 32 (2007) 1486-1493.
National 12 month Clinical Trial finds Allen Carr’s Easyway almost twice as effective as other smoking cessation methods available on Health Service. Keogan, S., Li, S., Clancy L. (2018) Allen Carr’s Easyway to Stop Smoking – A randomised clinical trial. BMJ Tobacco Control, Issue 4 Volume 28.
UK Clinical Trial finds Allen Carr’s Easyway as good as, if not better than, the Gold Standard NHS Programme which uses NRT & 1-1 psychological support. Frings D, Albery IP, Moss AC, Brunger H, Burghela M, White S, and Wood KV (2020) Comparison of Allen Carr’s Easyway programme with a specialist behavioural and pharmacological smoking cessation support service: A randomised controlled trial. Addiction 115: doi: 10.1111/add.14897
- Acute Effects of Electronic Cigarette Aerosol Inhalation on Vascular Function Detected at Quantitative MRI Alessandra Caporale. RSNA Radiology Vol.293, No1
- Electronic Cigarette Use and Myocardial Infarction Among Adults in the US Population Assessment of Tobacco and Health Journal of the American Heart Association. 2019;8:e012317 D Bhatta and S Glantz
- Madison, M. C., et al. (2019). Electronic cigarettes disrupt lung lipid homeostasis and innate immunity independent of nicotine. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 10.1172, JCI128531
- Electronic cigarettes disrupt lung lipid homeostasis and innate immunity independent of nicotine M Madison, C Landers Journal of Clinical Investigation2019 JCI128531
- Hanno C Erythropel, Sairam V Jabba, Tamara M DeWinter, Melissa Mendizabal, Paul T Anastas, Sven E Jordt, Julie B Zimmerman. Formation of flavorant–propylene Glycol Adducts With Novel Toxicological Properties in Chemically Unstable E-Cigarette Liquids. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 2018; DOI: 10.1093/ntr/nty192