How do you help a gambling addict?
Before you can help your loved one you first need to look after yourself, as counter-intuitive as that might sound.
Firstly, here are 8 effective tips to help a gambling addict (for top tips in more detail click here):
- Understand who you are and who it is you are trying to help
- If the gambling addict doesn’t think they have a problem you can’t help them
- Straight talking prepares the ground
- Point them in the direction of help
- It’s easy for the addict to be disheartened
- Build trust and don’t keep looking over their shoulder
- If they want to talk about how they feel, listen
- Be there for them if they have a bad day